Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Sachne (Gan HaShlosha National Park) & Biking

Today was a break from the norm in the nonstop schedule of IST. Since many people were feeling a bit run down from the constant on-the-go schedule, we slept in and everyone took advantage ofwas a  this time!!  Our first stop was the Sachne  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gan_HaShlosha_National_Park) which was incredibly relaxing and way to hang out, enjoy the sun pool, and meet some Israelis.  Since today was a very low-key day, we went on a great bike ride around the area for a bit before returning back to the Alon Tavor Field School.  Tomorrow we will be heading up to Rosh Hanikra & Akko!!


Sachne (Gan HaShlosha National Park)






IST Haikus by Leah Sidell & Brooke Robinson

What is for dinner? Chicken and rice, oh so nice We are not surprised Still on the search for Food that is bad with hummus It does not exist The treat of the trip Ice cream, glidah, oh so good Eaten every day The snacks are so good Cariot is the group fave When can we get more? Shoko beh sakit Chocolate milk in a bag, what? Who knew it was good?!


Biking in Gilboa mountains






















Good god, there is no way they could have done this in togas" I think, as my feet clumsily find their way up the stairs of Masada's Roman Ramp. I can hear the huffs and puffs, and muffled coughs, and my own heart beating a little quicker than maybe it would like to. All of us are awake, but just barely; our bodies ache with thirst for a sleep that three hours did not satiate. I'm not sure what I was expecting. I don't think I had any expectations, because if I did they'd have been wrong, and this ... thing that I am staring at is not really anything you can expect. There's a weird sort of peachy glow emanating from the Jordanian mountains. "That's a whole other country" Elan told me. "Your mom is a whole other country" I'm a little too tired. I stare at Jordan. He's right; there's a whole other country just winking at me between the Dead Sea and the now half-risen sun. --- Emma Baumgarten, 2014 ISTer (on climbing Massada)