Wednesday, July 2, 2014

End of Electives - IST 2014 back together!!

After a very successful 3 days of Electives (Tikkun Olam, Sea-to-Sea Hike & Gadna (Israeli Army), our entire IST community was back together and joined one another on Hukuk Beach on the Sea of Galilee. Everyone hugged one another and nothing but smiles as many people haven't seen one another for 3 days. It's amazing what an immersive experience can do for connections and building such lifelong friendships.  We spent some time on the beach together, had a BBQ and then traveled to our home away from home in Akko for one night before touring tomorrow and then heading to our families & friends for Host Family Shabbat Weekend which many have been looking forward to the entire trip and should be a relaxing and wonderful weekend for everyone wherever they may be around Israel!!

Community Service - they completed their Tikkun Olam by working in the fields picking tomatoes for those that are going hungry in Israel and collected over a ton of food in a short time.  From there, they went to a factory that employed adults with special needs and the students had an incredible time connecting and seeing really the impact that these adults have on in the community.

Sea to Sea Hike - the group concluded their 25+ mile trek from the Mediterranean Sea to the Sea of Galilee altogether after having some serious time to bond, make new friendships, connect with the land of Israel and have the time of their lives.

Gadna - today was concluded with the students finishing up their duties, having a closing ceremony and really embracing army in Israel.  Most of the students have said that this was a once-in-a-lifetime experience that they won't forget for the rest of their lives.

Sea to Sea Hike

















Sea to Sea was an experience of a lifetime! Not only are we able to say that we walked from one sea to another sea, but we can say we walked across an entire country. I don't know anyone else (other than fellow ISTers that have done Sea to Sea before) that have walked across a country. The fact that I can say I have walked across an entire country is amazing to me. Hiking 30 miles in 4 days at the beginning did not sound bad. That was less than 10 miles a day. But as the hot days dragged out, I began to not want to be there any more. My legs started to shake, I became dehydrated, and I was more tired than I had ever been in my life. With all of these road blocks in front of me, I continued to push on, because I knew that in the end there would be ice cream... And there was.... Twice. But really, I knew that at the end of the trek I would have hiked across a country from one sea to another. I am incredibly proud of all my fellow ISTers for completing this hike of a lifetime with me. The memories and friends that we made will never be forgotten. --- Marc Kaplan


Gadna